C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:56:33 -0500
If Carla's magnesium supplements don't cut it, Jenn, diazepam @ 5mg/3 per
day might work.  Clonazepam (Klonipin) also works--not as well as valium,
but it's slightly less addictive.  Remember that your spasms are
neurological in origin with CP and not due to bad blood chemistry (although
Mg deficiency can exacerbate the condition).  The anxiolytics, like valium
(diazepam), keep the neurons from firing so frequently.  Sometimes the
doctor will order an EMG, which is a test that shows the electrical activity
in any given muscle.  It (can) involve a series of uncomfortable
needle-sticks, but it's pretty cool to "hear" your muscles spasm during the
test.

-Kyle