From:
Kathleen Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 06:25:04 EST

I take Western Family "ChlorTabs"  to help dry up my sinuses and help
combat allergies.   The active ingredient is Chlorpheniramine Maleate.
Benedryl agitates my heart and my cardiodoc suggested ChlorTrimeton (a
brand name).  ChlorTabs are the same thing only a bit cheaper. ChlorTabs
are GF according to Western Family. [log in to unmask] == Walgreen's
Waldryl, it is GF and has been a godsend for [log in to unmask]

===

Walgreen's has a product called Wal-dryl. It is GF. I have had no reactions
to it and I react to the slightest amount of cross contamination.

====

The last time I checked was on 10/22/01, so this might be slightly out of
date.

Wal-Dryl liquid from Walgreens can be GF, but you have to chase down the
lot number to find out who made that particular batch. The last time I
checked, the Wal-dryl liquid made by Perigo (800-719-9260) was claimed
to be gluten free.  The other liquid product manufacturer that I know of
is Granutex.  I don't have a phone number and don't know the gluten
status of their product.

The lot number is imprinted on the box, so what we do is go to
Walgreens, check the bottles on the shelf for lot numbers, then call
Perigo to see if they made it and if it is still GF.  We buy several
bottles and keep it until it expires.  This beats the heck out of
trying to trace a lot number during a reaction or on weekends or
evenings!!

LNK (800-426-9391) makes Wal-Dryl in dry form and as of 10/22/01 they
claimed their Wal-Dryl was GF.  I don't know if they are the only
manufacturer, but the procedure would be the same.  Get the lot number
from the store then call. WE CALL EACH AND EVERY TIME!!! steve & deni
weber  [log in to unmask] We use Waldryl from Walgreens, HOWEVER, we were
told that you need to call about each batch number as there are two
different suppliers that make the product and you cannot tell the
difference by looking at the box.  When we find a batch that is ok, we
stock up.  I have heard that the supplier also supplies Walmart brand,
but I am not positive about that.  Someone else may know and send you
that information.  If you need the phone number for the Walgreens kind,
let me know and I'll have my husband find it.  (He does all the med
checking in the family!)  deni weber

==

Waldryl is the store brand at Walgreen's.  [log in to unmask] == Waldryl from
Walgreens is GF. [log in to unmask] == Walgreens has a
"Benedryl" that is GF.  We use it all the time....Joy [log in to unmask]

==

Go to www.walgreens.com or a wal greens store.  Their
generic brand (waldryl) is GF. Kate in CA  [log in to unmask]

===

The issue with Benadryl is the D&C Red 3 dye used on the little band
around the middle of the capsule.  This is contains gluten.  The liquid
Benadryl was GF the last I checked.  I use the Wal-Mart and KMart
generic versions of 'benadryl'.  Look in the allergy section for
diphenhydramine.  I prefer the minitabs or caplets.  Nothing on the
labels of these products contains gluten, so the only concern would be
cross-contamination.  Since I only need one tablet and very infrequently
I don't worry about the small amount of gluten that would have.  The
pharmacist at either KMart or WalMart should be able to contact the
manufacturer of their respective products to very the gluten status if
you want to be absolutely sure. AJ [log in to unmask]

===

 KMart 'brand' is American Fare and label is "Complete Allery Minitabs
Diphenhydramine HCl 25mg Antihistamine"  Box is pink and white with red
letters.  I bought 100 minitabs for about $4.00. [log in to unmask]

==

There are prescriptions - Zyrtec, Clariten, Allegra.
JeanCopley, Ohio USA

==

Benadryl elixir, the children's liquid medicine, is gf.  The gel capsules
evidently are not.  I have taken the elixir without problems, and it
works very quickly.  The site I obtained this information from is
   http://www. geocities.co..gs/Spa/2679/gluten.html.
Look for gluten free products list.  Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Anne