From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:46:49 EST

 My question was: My grandson, not diagnosed with celiac, but being tested,
just came up with high lipase levels which indicate possible pancreatitis.
Does anyone know if there is a possible connection with CD?

Since I posted this question, my six year old grandson's blood tests for CD
came back negative and his ultrasound for pancreatitis is pending. My
grandson had continuous abdominal pain, a combination of constipation,
diarrhea and vomiting.  I have enclosed the following excerpts from replies.
Thanks to everyone for their comments.

                                                 ***********************

Hi - just wanted to let you know-speaking as a celiac, a veterinarian,
and someone who does drug development and argues about chemistry panel
results with the FDA for a living -- an isolated elevated lipase level
is indicative of nothing-it is consistent with pancreatitis but only if
the rest of the clinical constellation is there -- vomiting, abdominal
pain, ultrasound results consistent with pancreatitis, etc. A single
elevation in an enzyme as nonspecific as lipase is NOT diagnostic for
pancreatitis.  Of course, if you do have the full constellation then
pancreatitis is a possibility. It is also not unlikely if you have the
classic GI signs of celiac (vomiting/diarrhea) since any abdominal
inflammation/irritation, as can occur with prolonged or severe vomiting,
can cause local pancreatic inflammation and elevate the lipase levels.
Also consider your amylase levels-if both are high it adds to support
for the diagnosis of pancreatitis, if not, well amylase is another
nonspecific enzyme.  Hope this is of some use!

                                          *************************

I'm afraid there is. I first was diagnosed pancreatitis, and heard
CDdiagnosis two years later

                                           ************************

For months before I was finally diagnosed with celiac, I recall the Dr. kept
testing for pancreatic function.  After I began the gluten free diet, that
went back to normal and he no longer tests for that.  There may be a
connection, I don't know for sure.

                                           ************************

I don't know if there's any connection, Carol, but many of the symptoms are
the same, like for instance, both cause steatorrhea, floating stools that
leave an oily film on the water.

                                           ************************

I've seen pancreatitis listed several places as a 'side effect' of celiac.
Gall bladder problems too.

                                           ************************

I had pancreatitis twice -- before and after my diagnosis.  (I went 30
years tho' without being diagnosed, so my guts were in horrible shape)
What the doctors found was a blocked common duct.  After diagnosis, they
felt the blockage was due to 'scar tissue' in the small intestine where
the common duct was supposed to drain.

It appears to me there is a *definate* connection to many many Celiac's. I
make this assumption based on what I have read here over the past year; what
I have read in medical journals and what many of the Celiac Associations have
to say.