Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:41:50 -0600

Wow!  I had a lot of responses on this!

The great majority said they find capsules easier on the digestive
system, or easier to swallow, or both.

One list member, though, is allergic to beef, and capsules are usually
(but not always) gelatin, from beef, so she takes GF tablets for
supplements.

Some supplements use veggicaps.  When I called about one supplement that

listed veggicaps (don't recall what), I was told the veggicaps are GF,
but I would guess this could vary with the kind of veggicap and brand of
the product.

It's best to call the manufacturer and check.

Another list member said her doctor told her capsules are coated with
gelatin and therefore have gluten.  I think her doctor is confused.
Gelatin is from beef, not wheat.

A couple of list members said they see no difference in GF tablets and
GF capsules, just as long as a person makes sure everything is GF, and
these listmates found it best to eat something first - not take
supplements on an empty stomach.

Another list member prefers capsules, and finds it easy to dump the
capsules in juice.  Another dumps them in water.

Another cautioned that not all fillers (such as starch) are listed on
the label.

I don't think that is case.  I think the law requires that all fillers
be listed.

Still another listmate said to beware of coatings on tablets.  I had
been taking a mineral/bone density tablet, in fact, six of them a day
for the correct amount of calcium, and noticed the label listed a
coating.  The manufacturer said they are GF, but I am suspicious,
because I feel better when I switch to a Calcium/ Magnesium/Zinc capsule
in another brand, so I'll stick with the capsules.

I concluded that I would probably be better off with capsules, because
my enzymes don't seem to be quite up to par, and taking a lot of tablets
for supplements is asking my digestive system to do a lot more work than
taking capsules, or dumping capsules in juice.  So I'll switch to GF
capsules, and if I can find the supplements I want in GF veggicaps, I'll
switch to those.

Have a good evening, everyone!

Vicki