From:
Tanya & Stefan Buchwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:51:06 +0100

Dear list-members,

I would like your opinion on the following: My six-year-old son, a
biopsy-diagnosed celiac at 16 months, has been going through a phase
in his pre-school that lead his teacher (helped by the school's
counsellor) to recommend that he be tested for "Attention Deficit
Disorder (ADD)" / "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)".

The teacher's main concerns are:

- his lack of control over his emotions and behavior,
- his low self-esteem (regrets bad behavior afterwards),
- not waiting for his turn to answer (generally rather impulsive),
- his lack of concentration (being distracted easily and often not
completing a task),
- very observant and aware of every little thing going on around him
without being able to filter and stay focussed,
- often restless and fidgety.

Could this behavior be related to celiac disease ?  Should we go ahead
and have him tested ?

Just for the record: His last regular annual blood test (Sept. 2001)
came back all normal and he is doing very well on his gluten-free
diet (116 cm, 23 kg).

I'd appreciate any comments from other parents and/or professionals.

Sincerely,
Tanya
(from Berlin/Germany)

mail to: [log in to unmask]