From:
Mary Rosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:36:26 EST

To the list,

Thank you for so many wonderful responses, they just keep coming, even up to
a day or so ago. Many of you said the same thing. I will try not to repeat
and will quote with the long response. Lots of practical advice, and support.
Thru out the responses was this attitude: With a little consideration,
practicality, common sense, and not being paranoid on everyone's part, living
GF in a non GF household will be no problem.

From Danna Korn: "Sharing a kitchen with GF/non GF people is no problem,
I have a whole chapter dedicated to it in my first book, "Kids with
Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy Gluten-Free
Children" ...It talks all about which things should be separate
(colanders, toaster ovens) and which don't need to be (pots, pans,
utensils, plates, ect).

Many of you said to make the bedroom a "safe haven" I can store kitchen
things in the bedroom so as not to get them mixed up with others. This is a
good idea for storage space problems if you share a small kitchen with other
people.

Other storage ideas from you guys:

*Have your own refrigerator / freezer (this works for me-my parents have an
old fridge and freezer in the garage, and I will be putting my food and other
things I want separated in there)

*Have a shelf  or space in the pantry all for yourself in the kitchen

*Have a shelf  or space for yourself in the refrigerator that is yours only

Another idea that keeps coming up: LABEL EVERYTHING With a red sticker,
or a red permanent paint pen (I think you can get those at hardware
stores) and mark it GLUTEN FREE Red seems to be the color of choice for
everyone!

Some of you suggested to always cook the GF food first, Use different
counters when preparing food to decrease contamination and/or prepare
your items first. and of course, with common food that both GF and non
GF can eat, this can be cooked together At the very least, put your
items on the top rack and theirs on the bottom in the oven when cooking.

Keeping things clean-wash pots and pans between each use in hot water, before
each use.

Watch for crumbs on the counter, table, etc.. Wash those surfaces off before
you use them.

Have your own space in the kitchen to use for preparation of GF food
that is your space only EVERYONE said:  Don't use the same toaster. Buy
your own or use a 4 slicer, you use one side, the non GF person uses the
opposite side. Of course, this only works if you can remember which side
is yours! Personally, I have my own toaster that I will use and not share.

There were other suggestions for storage:

Keep personals in Rubbermaid, away from family items.

Use zip lock baggies/plastic bags to keep GF items separated from others.

Another big caution that everyone said:

You all talked about "double dipping" A term I was not familiar with. This is
in reference to Jams, Jellies, Butter, Peanut Butter, Mayo, Mustard and any
other food that more then one knife or spoon dips into is called double
dipping.

To avoid that, have your own jars/containers of these items and LABEL THEM so
no one else will use them. This will cut down on cross contamination and
misunderstandings for all.

The only serious problem that a few mentioned is living with someone who
likes to bake. The Flour dust will rise in the air and I will breath it
in.  The only solution is to just leave the area for the time the baker
is baking, or ask the baker to reframe from baking while I am there. The
considerate thing to do is just leave for a time while baking is going
on. "Particles of gluten that are too small to see are too small to hurt
you.  Anything you can see, you can avoid" - Thanks, Tom!

Another important thing:

Play an active role in food preparation. Don't assume a loved one knows what
is gluten free or not. Go shopping together to help pick out food, Education
with a relaxed attitude goes a long way!

Do not be afraid to be "selfish"  with your GF foods. They are expensive and
it is not wise to chance others "dipping" into your food.

Some of you suggested having my own dish cloth and sponge for cleaning-good
idea! Something I never would have thought of!

Most of you said running things through the dishwasher or washing with hot
soapy water is fine for most cooking utensils, pots pans, etc. Most said to
use your own cutting board or own wooden spoons. Basically, what I
understand, is anything porous such as wood, you are at a higher risk for
cross contamination, then if you used metal or plastic or glass.  Don't share
used plates (common sense) and just to be careful with work surfaces.

This was long but imformative....Thanks AJ !

I have a corner of the kitchen all to myself.  My toaster is labelled 'GF'
only' using magic marker.  Any GF stuff in fridge is marked in very large
letters in a very prominent location with the letters "GF".  My food prep
area is washed with clean hot soapy water before and after use (just in case
someone else goofed.)  Same for cutting board, shared utensils.  Never assume
a utensil is clean just because it's in the cupboard or drawer.  You should
see what my non-GF, perpetually-bachelor roommate puts in the cupboard (or
maybe you shouldn't now that I think about it..........)

If you thoroughly clean glass, china, or metal items using a clean dishcloth
and fresh, clean dishwater (not used non-GF cleaning) and rinse, rinse, rinse
then air dry you should be OK since these items are non-porous and don't
absorb molecules of anything.

Don't try to share plastics, as they are too hard to thoroughly clean and can
absorb stuff.  Skip the dishwasher - I've seen too much food residue left on
'clean' dishes to be sure about it.  Use your own cutting board.

See if you can get a shelf or cupboard assigned for just your stuff then warn
everyone else to keep out.  Be firm but tough about NO SHARING.  If someone
goofs it's better for them to 'fess up than allow you to become ill, so be
nice if they do goof.  It's as hard for them to learn the rules as it was for
you, and their health doesn't hang in the balance so they are less motivated.

About the oven - if it is reasonably clean and you are using your own
thoroughly cleaned containers I don't see a problem.  Just don't cook GF and
non-GF at the same time to avoid contamination from spillage or at least put
the GF on the top rack and the non-GF on the bottom.  Use foil for covering
open containers in the regular oven and wax paper covers in the microwave.

Most of all, wash your hands often, which is a basic kitchen rule for
everybody, not just celiacs.  It avoids a lot of food-borne illnesses as well
as cross-contamination.

Good luck - it's do-able but takes extra work.

AJ

Many wrote about sensitivity, some of us are more so then others, Each will
find his or her own way in dealing with that issue. Also to consider the DH
level which is more for those who have skin related conditions. Something I
do not have to worry about. One person wrote in that her doctor told her
this:

There are two kinds of Celiac: one likes to make the whole world change to
suite him/her, and the other finds a way to make the world work for him/her.

Megan wrote---

I live in a house full of gluten eaters and have learned to keep my food and
cooking equiptment seperate. I think it probably depends on your level of
sensitivity, but here's a few examples of how I go about it:

-I have my own toaster oven thats able to bake or roast small amounts of
food. I never use the family oven.

-If I use the microwave I wrap my dish in saran

-I never use communal pans

-Keep my own condiments in a large tupperware container in the fridge

-Have my own cutting board

-Always clean the counter before I start cooking

-I do use general silverware, glasses and most utensils but always check
their cleanliness.

Like you, I'm staying with my family temporarily and have resigned to eating
extremely simple, often uncooked meals while I'm here. Before completely
seperating my stuff I had numerous accidents and have found its much easier
to prepare quick and simple meals than to get involved in cooking
complicated things.

Megan in Seattle