From:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:09:15 -0500

I gathered this info from letters received, visiting
web sites and snipped a few responses from the celiac
forum at Delphi where we have been discussing the
hidden barley/malt found in tea blends.

Here's the scoop. (or teaspoonful ;-)

From Traditional Medicinals (I like their Ginger-Aid
for after dinner digestion)

From their web site: www.traditionalmedicinals.com

Do any of your teas contain gluten?

Celiac patients are advised to avoid food ingredients
containing gluten and/or its derivatives (e.g.
gliadin). Certain grains such as barley, oat, rye and
wheat contain proteins that are composed of prolamins
and/or glutelins. None of Traditional Medicinals
products contain any wheat or rye, or their
derivatives. The following four Traditional Medicinals
products contain barley grain or oat straw and
therefore may contain some amount of naturally
occurring gliadin or gluten:

Female SageT
PMS TeaT
Reishi DefenseT
St. John's Good MoodT

***

From Twinings Teas...

Dear Karri Ann

Thank you for your e-mail enquiring about gluten in our
products. As advised by our Quality department, we can
assure you that all Twinings teas, infusions and fruits
are 'gluten free'. We are indeed aware of such problems
as cross contamination (from other products) and
'hidden ingredients' (ingredients that may have more
than one source and may have undeclared ingredients).

Both we and our suppliers are very aware of these
issues - and others such as Genetically Modified (GMO)
and organic status - and carry out our obligations with
respect to legislation and as a highly reputable
company. You can therefore keep enjoying our products
with complete peace of mind. Thank you for your valued
loyalty to Twinings products and please let us know if
you need any additional information.

Kind regards, Keith - Web Marketing Team R Twining and
Company Limited http://www.twinings.com

***

The REPUBLIC of TEA:

Dear Citizen Karri Ann,
For those who are celiac, we recommend an avoidence of
flavored teas, opting instead for unblended teas. I've
forwarded your TeaMinded suggestion regarding a posted
list to The Great Hall of Ministers for their
consideration. Thank you for your kind e-mail.

Best Sip by Sip regards...The Minister of Information.

If you have a follow up response to this answer or wish
to post an additional question please revisit
http://www.republicoftea.com/query

***

Bigelow Teas
has this on their web site:  Are your teas gluten free?

The following teas contain barley malt and test
positive for gluten:

Apple & Spice Herbal Garden Tea
Fruit & Berries Herb Tea
Fruit & Berries Herb Iced Tea
Hibiscus & Rose Herbal Garden Tea

The teas listed below contain barley malt, but do not
test positive for gluten:

Chamomile Mango Herb Tea
Sinfully Cinnamon Herb Tea
Specially Strawberry Herb Tea
Strawberry Herbal Garden Tea
Take-A-Break Loose Tea

***

Amy wrote regarding STASH Tea:

Just had to add, I just looked at the Stash Tea
website, & it says that all of their teas are GF
http://www.stashtea.com/teafaq.htm#14
<http://www.stashtea.com/teafaq.htm>
ENJOY!!

***

Re: Yogi Teas
From Sue:

I also wrote to Yogi teas to find out their gluten
status because their web site said their teas were all
gluten-free, yet they listed barley malt as an
ingredient in several teas. When I wrote for
clarification, they confirmed that the teas with barley
malt do indeed contain gluten. I suggested that they
correct their web site so we'll see what happens.

-Sue in CT

***

From TAZO: www.Tazo.com

Your search for enlightenment into the world of Tazo is to be
admired.  With this first step on your path, may you find
answers you seek.  (Tea-related answers that is).

In order to be absolutely safe, we suggest you drink only
Tazo products that do not contain any natural flavorings.
Attached is a list of Tazo teas that contain only tea or
botanicals and no flavors or additives:

Refresh Filterbags
Awake Filterbags
Organic Darjeeling Filterbags
China Green Tips Filterbags
Organic Envy Filterbags
Organic Iced Tea Ready to Drink

***

and finally,
From Celestial Seasonings:

Our Position on Natural Flavors-
Celestial Seasonings uses a variety of natural flavors
in many of our products. You can check the ingredient
declaration on the side of the box to see if they are
present. We use natural flavors because they will
enhance the flavors of the other ingredients. We are
often asked what natural flavors are and what
ingredients they contain.

What is a "natural flavor"?

The Food and Drug Administration in the Code of Federal
Regulations [21 CFR 101.22(3)] defines natural flavor
in this way:

The term "natural flavor" or "natural flavoring" means
the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive,
protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of
roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the
flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or
fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible
yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant
material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products,
or fermentation products thereof, whose significant
function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional
Celestial Seasonings does not use natural flavors
derived from protein hydrolysate, edible yeast, meat,
seafood, poultry or eggs. These flavors are commonly
referred to as "savory" or meat flavors, and they do
not fit with our teas. Moreover, Celestial Seasonings
does not use monosodium glutamate (MSG) in any of our
products. Our natural flavors are derived primarily
from fruits, spices and herbs.

What is in the natural flavor?

Celestial Seasonings is very proud of the unique flavor
blend in our teas. We go to great expense to ensure you
of the highest quality ingredients in our teas. We do
not divulge the specific components in our unique
flavors; to do so would compromise the very
distinctiveness that allows us to thrive. If you have
specific allergies or sensitivities to certain flavors,
we recommend that you avoid all food products with
added flavorings.

****

Wow. Is it just me, or do others find this last
paragraph elitist and insensitive???

I'm very disappointed in Celestial Seasonings. -Karri
Ann

SLAINTE  MHATH !

Visit Allrich Studios at:
http://www.c4.net/allrichstudios/