From:
JOHN E SANDERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 06:56:08 -0600

I found a new corn tortilla chip product at our Wal-Mart.  I inquired
online (www.torengos.com) to the manufacturer regarding their GF status.

My questions:

Torengos are a great tasting snack.  Do torengos contain gluten-
containing ingredients derived from wheat, rye, barley, and similar
grains?  According to the label, the ingredient that concerns me is the
modified food starch; is it derived from wheat, barley, or rye?  Could
Torengos be contaminated by glutens during the manufacturing process?

Their reply:

Our current formulation of Torengos is gluten free.  The modified food
starch is derived from corn.  Torengos and Pringles are made at our
snack plant in Jackson, Tn. The manufacturing lines are thoroughly
cleaned and sanitized whenever a flavor or ingredient change is made.
All parts of the seasoning lines are scrubbed (with brushes) and cleaned
with food approved cleaning and sanitizing solutions. Even the floor is
bleached.

I hope this information is helpful and you'll give Torengos a try.

Karen
USA Torengos Team