Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:33:09 -0500
More than likely, the installer used USB because it takes less time than
installing a PCmcia card.
I install cable modems and this is what I would have done:
Ask the customer what they would like to have and then check his computer
and explain which way is more feasible.
most notebooks only have one USB port and most of the time it's connected to
the printer.
if the notebook has an internal NIC, all the more better. the drivers are
preinstalled and everything is ready to go. (unless the customer made
changes).  We have an extra charge of $50 to install a PCMCIA NIC (for the
parts) and connect it that way.
USB is ok if you have more than one port. For a while we also had a problem
with XP and the USB drivers to some of out modems.
Nothing looked wrong until you went on to the Internet. First page ok, maybe
second page ok, but then the computer would just reboot. no warning, no
nothing. just reboot. We installed PCI cards until the new USB drivers came
out.

Winston Pike