From:
Gordon McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:42:28 -0600
Hi James

I am assuming you mean Internet Explorer. If so, I have recently come
across this problem on helping to fix another individuals computer.

There problem would show up only after going on the internet. After be on
the internet for an undetermined amount of time BUT usually not longer then
20 minutes, the computer would freeze just like yours.

There particular problem was that the MODEM PnP PCI board and there Video
were sharing the same IRQ. The MODEM software had an enabling TAB to share
with other devices BUT apparently the VIDEO device wasn't playing by the
rules.

Anyway by getting the MODEM to use a different IRQ (Forced it to IRQ 4 on
COM1 and disable the onboard Comport in BIOS). Everything now works fine.

Unsure if this will cure your problem. To find the IRQs … Right Click "My
Computer" go to "Properties" pick "Device Manager" tab select Computer then
click properties and all the IRQs and who are using them will be available.
(Or Start Run "msinfo32" … then while in the system Information window take
PLUS sign away from "Hardware Resources" and highlight "Conflicts/Sharing"
this will display those same IRQs.)

Hope this helps
TTYL
Gordon

James Baker wrote:

> This may be a hardware problem, then again....
>
> Celeron 466mhz
> 64mb memory
> Windows ME
> Fast Access DSL
> Microsoft Outlook
> Internet Explorer 5.5 or 6.0
>
> When running Explorer a short time the system locks up.
>
> When the system locks up, mouse halts, control/alternate/delete doesn't
> work.
> Screen remains intact showing proper display.
>
> Only way to get system running again is to power down and restart by
> either unplugging the power or holding in the power switch until the
> system cuts off.
>
> Then the system will restart and run the scandisk routine and then
> finish booting.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com