From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:36:01 -0700
At 07:12 PM 3/18/2002, you wrote:
>To test the physical connection to an ip address you use ping ipaddress.
>What does ping stand for?
>Is it part of a particulars et of commands?

To save from reinventing the wheel and time, I have snagged this
good definition from Whatis.com: (http://www.whatis.com)
Ping is a basic Internet program that lets you verify that a particular IP address exists
and can accept requests. The verb ping means the act of using the ping utility or
command. Ping is used diagnostically to ensure that a host computer you are trying to
reach is actually operating. If, for example, a user can't ping a host, then the user
will be unable to use the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to send files to that host. Ping
can also be used with a host that is operating to see how long it takes to get a response
back. Using ping, you can learn the number form of the IP address from the symbolic domain name.

Loosely, ping means "to get the attention of" or "to check for the presence of" another
party online. Ping operates by sending a packet to a designated address and waiting for a
response. The computer acronym (for Packet Internet or Inter-Network Groper) was
contrived to match the submariners' term for the sound of a returned sonar pulse.

Ping can also refer to the process of sending a message to all the members of a mailing
list requesting an ACK (acknowledgement code). This is done before sending e-mail in
order to confirm that all of the addresses are reachable.