From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:01:29 -0800
On 4 Mar 2002, at 20:34, Byron Wolter wrote:

> I asked a question earlier about internet connection sharing using
> Win95 and Win98.  After I posted the question, I found the answer.
>
> Anyway, I have another question.  I want to network two PCs so
> they can access the internet through the Win98 computer which is
> using a broadband cable modem.  Just what do I need to purchase so
> the Win95 computer can use the modem, and at the same time, also
> share printers?  I had thought about wireless, but have no clue as
> to what hardware to purchase.  Even with cat5 I don't know what I
> need.
>
> Win98 computer with cable modem set up and working
> Win95 that I want to network.
>
> Can anyone explain what equipment I need and why?
>
> Byron Wolter

  Your Win98 computer is currently using some card -- almost
certainly a NIC (Network Interface Card) to connect to the cable
modem.

  Running ICS (or just about any third-party gateway/NAT package) on
the 98 box allows it to act as the gateway between its Internet
connection and another network.
  Another network, means it will need another network interface.
[When I put two NICs in a single machine, I like to make them
different brands so that I know which drivers and configurations go
with which connection....]  You'll also need a NIC for the Win95
machine -- one for which you have or can get Win95 drivers.

  There are two popular flavors of NIC (and various other
configurations):  10/100Mbps (Cat5 only) and 10Mbps combo (connectors
for Cat5 and co-ax).  I recommend the former.
  Once you have an interface in each machine, you need to connect
them together, and there are three options:

1.  A special "crossover" Cat5 cable.  This is the cheapest option,
but leaves no way to add a third machine later.

2.  A hub:  a dumb device that you can connect multiple NICs to using
normal "straight through" Cat5 cables.  Common home sizes have 4 or 8
ports, and larger ones are available.

3.  A switch:  a "smart" device that you can connect multiple NICs to
using normal "straight through" Cat5 cables.  Common home sizes have
4 or 8 ports, and larger ones are available.

  You will need to configure the network interface on the Win95 box
and the new NIC in the 98SE box so that they can see each other on
your new network.

David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>