From:
"Joab S. Herman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:08:07 -0500
Edwin,

While Rand is correct in saying that the filter is there to
protect POTS from DSL, the rest of his response is incorrect.

Think of all your PNA home networking NICS (whether Diamond or
any other brand) as telephone devices that must be plugged into
the POTS via filtered outlets to isolate them from the DSL
signal. The PNA standard works on regular phone lines. Your
gateway machine communicates with the DSL modem via the standard
NIC and with your home network via the PNA (Diamond) NIC.

If your ICS (Internet Connection Software) is properly
configured, your PNA NICs will have the correct private network
IP addresses and everything should be okay. If you are using
Windows XP ICS I recommend that you do not use their firewall,
as it doesn't give much protection, and that you install the
ZoneAlarm firewall on your gateway instead. If you are using
Wingate  ICS or Winproxy ICS, their built-in firewalls are good
enough. You can always test your firewall with ShieldsUP, at
Gibson research's website, www.grc.com.

Also, as I discovered with the help of a poster on this list, if
you use the Windows XP ICS you should install a proxy server
too, such as AnalogX, which is free, in order to get more
reliable internet connections from your client machines.
(Wingate and Winproxy are proxy servers and don't require any
additional proxy servers.)

Good Luck.
Joab

                     visit our download web page at: