From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 13:38:39 +0200
Hi All

I have 3 working computers at home (All of them starting to age a bit).

2 of them are P166'es that I have really put together from scraps and left
overs that I had.They both have 32Mbs RAM. One has a 4Gb Hdd, and a Voodoo
3D banshee graphics card. The other has a 2.5Gb Hdd and an S3 Virge graphics
card and no Floppy drive. (Anybody want to throw more scraps my way - I'd be
keen on more RAM and a floppy).

The third I built myself almost 2 years ago and that is a P466 celeron with
256Mb ram, a 40Gb Hdd and a 6Gb Hdd and and ASUS 3800 magic graphics card.
This PC is multi-booted with w98 and a few Linux dists also installed (Suse,
Red Hat and FreeBSD) on different partitions. I use W98 (original package)
mostly and seldom use Linux (Only when I want to play some of their cool
games and do a bit of learning).

My questions are regarding setting up a network at home.

I have Win NT4 workstation installed on the 2 P166's, but the catch to this
is that they need to act as servers. The first PC needs to have the login
names and passwords etc on it and possibly act as a file server and an
Intranet (yes Intranet - not Internet) server. The second PC needs to act as
a proxy / gateway / firewall to the internet and it will have a modem
attached to it.

I'm okay with the proxy / gateway / firewall thing. I'm not okay with the
login thing.

Is this possible or am I just dreaming? If this is possible. Does my setup
make sense?

Assuming that this is possible, how would I achieve this setup? I have a
feeling that my current setup of TCP/IP that is the problem. Currently I
have identical userid's on both NT boxes (obviously not ideal). I can ping
all the PC's without any problem. However only the Win98 box can see and
access shares on both NT machines.

I would consider installing Linux on one of the boxes that have NT on it,
but I'm not sure that 32Mb RAM is comfortable for a Linux install. Besides
I've only tinkered with Linux.

I'm fairly good at hardware and troubleshooting generally, but I usually
fall flat on networking.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Brendon