From:
Fran Bott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 04:11:50 -0500
Sounds like either the cable is bad or the controller for the floppy drive
is bad.

First I would try replacing the cable to the floppy drive. If this does not
help, then I would say the controller for the floppy is bad. I am guessing
that the cable for the floppy plugs into the board (and not to a card in one
of the slots), if this is the case you will need to get a I/O card to
replace the onboard controller. If you do go this route, you will need to go
into bios to see if there is an option to disable the onboard controller for
the floppy. If there is, disable it. The I/O card will probably have
connections for 2 IDE ports and the floppy. You will need to check for
jumpers on the card to disable the IDE controllers on the card, so that you
only use the floppy controller on the card. Install and everything should be
ok.

I had to do this with a system I put together for my sister. had a really
nice board with a bad floppy controller that gave me a lot of grief until I
figured it out. Everything works fine now. If  you need any more help, email
me.

Fran