From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 16:24:07 -0400
> Hi all that are interested in this.
> I was thinking about building an Athlon system for myself, but
> after looking
> at what Tom's had to show about them vs. Intel and heat, I may rethink my
> plans. I'd suggest you look at
> http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html Watch the little
> video. Yikes!

        Yes, I also saw that video, it was actually not very suprising to me. FWIW
older Intel CPUs would have been prone to that sort of failure as well if
they were encased in the same packages as processors are now. Please don't
let it stop you from Buying an Athlon. Tom mentioned himself that they way
they were testing the chips (removing the heatsink outright) is a very rare
occurance likely to never happen to any of the PCs you own in your lifetime
(I know I've had quite a few PCs and in none did the heatsink ever fall off
like that. TTYL