From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:24:57 -0500
From: "Laura Paris" <[log in to unmask]>
> cause serious damage in the body. So we all know to keep the flax oil &
ground
> flax seeds refrigerated in opaque containers. Why does Cordain promote
over &
> over in his recipes the use of flax oil in cooking? This makes no sense to
me.

Welcome back, Laura!

I recall from reading the flax.com site that baking flaxseeds does not seem
to ruin the oil (e.g. in muffins.) Perhaps this is due to the quick exposure
from hot air rather than from contact with a hot pan.

In any event, I would not cook (or bake) with PUFAs. I try to use goose fat,
butter, even olive oil, when cooking, but never anything high in PUFAs. I
use the animal fats for higher temperature cooking (or coconut oil). Hotter
temperatures cause PUFAs to oxidize and makes them unhealthy.

I take flaxseed oil and I freeze it because I find that even refrigeration
makes it quickly spoil once the bottle is opened. Sensitive stuff. And the
other PUFA oils you buy in the health food store are shipped in clear
containers and have been sitting around who-knows-how-long.

--Richard