From:
Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:51:13 +0100
> >      "One of the most important things we've found out
> >        about protein is its impact on life expectancy. When
> >        you feed animals more protein, they don't live as
> >        long. If you reduce their calories and protein, they
> >        live longer. " -- Dr. Dean Edell
Any animal fed biologically inappropriate diet will live shorter. So if they
feed rats diet of 50% protein no wonder they lived shorter.
Such reseraches are quite easy to manipulate.
My rats always eat proteins (meats, eggs, etc) first and that start to eat
grains, fruits,etc.

>I don't know any specific research on this.  The way in which
>caloric restriction slows aging appears to be by slowing all
>metabolic processes (muscle mass is lost, body temperature goes
>down, etc.).  Protein, on the other hand, has a thermic effect
>that in effect increases metabolism.

That's another point. Increased metabolism may mean shorter lifespan if we
assume mechanistic wear-out theory but from the other hand more protein and
increased metabolism means better recovery and rebuilding of a body so it
can extend lifespan.
The Inuits which ate up to 10 pounds of meat and fat a day was still able to
reach 60-70 years in extreme weather conditions.

Paul Sand