BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:54:53 -0500
We pause for a moment to note the passing of yet another tradition: the
venerable french method diamond-shaped asphalt shingle roof.

I might have just installed the last one in America on my accessory
building. Old-timers here may recall my search for the shingles. I
bought the shingles 3 years ago, and finally in November got around to
tearing off the old termite-eaten-up roof and framing the new one. Dried
it in and then put up the new shingles over a couple of weekends in
December. It was a thankfully gloriously dry autumn.

The last step in installation is the "stitching" of the butt end of the
diamond to the tabs of the two flanking shingles underneath with a
copper staple, using the special Acme Staple Company asphalt shingle
stapler...like an office paper staple, only bigger. 1" throat...a
beautiful shiny staple.

I had the shingles. I had the copper staples. I did not have the
stapler. I knew this was going to be my challenge, I did not know how
big. I began by trying to contact the shingle manufacturer, Globe
Building Materials Company, the last manufacturer of these shingles (at
least as I had been able to determine). I discover to my horror that
they closed their doors in October. For good. Those who manage historic
sites with these shingles should begin preparations now for custom
fabricating them from roll material.

Vague memories inkle that it was the Acme Stapler? that was used for
these shingles? The internet produces an Acme Staple Company. I call the
Acme Staple Company. Yes, Globe is closed. Yes, they were the last
manufacturer of the shingles. Yes, they have the staplers. More than a
few of them, in fact; Globe not surprisingly was the only distributor
for the staplers. No distributor, no wholesaling. And without shingles,
even fewer buyers. So they would discount the stapler to me, Mr.
Homeowner, for only $325. Great....

Now we start to call the old old roofing companies in the area...perhaps
somebody in business for 60 years has one laying around. Nope, and they
don't want to bother with the time to go looking on behalf of a
desperate homeowner who is not going to buy a roof from them. I call a
former commission member from 15 years ago when I arrived here. He was a
roofing consultant then, and still is...in his 80s. He started his
consultancy after he got down off the roof with his roofing company and
sold it.

"Yeah, I had one of those. Not sure if I still do. I remember standing
there with it in my hand trying to decide whether to keep it or discard
it as I was going through my shop. Can't remember what I decided.... Let
me take a look and see if I can find it."

It's the holidays, don't hear from him for days. Then, Friday last week,
he calls. He found it. He brings it to me. It is a beautiful tool. It
has been in his shop unused for 30 years. It has cobwebs, and he didn't
wax it before he put it in the shop in our humid climate. He has put
some oil on it for me in a couple strategic places. It still has a few
staples in it. I press the handle down toward the anvil, and a perfectly
formed rectangle of copper, one inch by 1/4 inch, drops from the maw of
the whammer jammer.

In one and a half hours on Saturday, I stapled the six and a half
squares of my asphalt roof together. No more hurricane worries. One of
my more unusual Saturday chores.

And quietly passed another era.
Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.   "The workman ought often to
Raleigh Historic           be thinking, and the thinker
Districts Commission       often to be working."
[log in to unmask]                       -- John Ruskin
919/890-3678