VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:44:05 -700

All,
My subscription had apparrently been lost so this may be delayed.

I have been working with the president of BeeLineShopper on making the system
accessible.

It appears they have solved the major problem related to the use
of "UPC" Universal product codes on grocery and other items.
This problem is access to a huge and expensive database
containing product identification and other information.

The letter posted here was intended for sighted users, and there
are several points which will differ when blind folks use such a
system.

the scanner on a "key chain" they mention will not be usable by
blind folks.  This scanner must be moved directly over the bar
code to work, and we just can not do that reliably.

They have access to a somewhat more expensive scanner of the
"laser" type which will find a bar code when simply shown the
proper side of the package.  With these type of scanners, it is
usually not hard to hold a package near the scanner and rotate it
around till the scanner finds the code and beeps.

These laser type scanners are not portable, and no body thinks
you can go to the grocery store with one and find stuff
independantly.

What such a system may do well is allow you to identify packages
in your home and get cooking instructions, health information
etc.

You may also be able to print or otherwise build a grocery list
by scanning things you want to repurchase.

BeeLIne is proposing two approaches to running the system.  One
would involve their scanner and your personal computer with screen
reader and either speech or braille output.  You'd need to have
the scanner connected to the computer while you scanned items.
You could, presumably, then either get more info about each item,
add it to your list, or whatever.

I have not yet tried their PC software, but others who have say
it is "screen reader friendly"

The second approach BeeLine is working on involves accessing
their system by a phone.  This means a scanner they sell you with
a box which converts the output of the scanner to touch tones.

The touch tones are sent over the phone after you dial up their
system.  The system then identifies the bar code it has received
in touch tones and speaks back to you the identification.  You
can then ask for further information on that product.

the product info is then added to an on/line account for you.
You may use a computer to access this account and list.

They appear to have quite a complete database, although I've only
tried a few tens of items.

they are now looking for someone with experience in marketing to
the blindness community and some funding help to produce the
converter box and get the program off the ground.

We at Smith-Kettlewell are helping in that search.

Beeline suggests the laser scanner and converter box may cost
about $400.00.  You'd need to maintain a yearly subscription to
the system so that they can update the database, perhaps $50.00
to $100.00 a year depending on the services you want.

BeeLineShopper is a division of airclic.com

You can look at their site by going to
http://www.BeeLineShopper.com

If you think you have real ideas about how to market this product
to our community, or if you have questions, email me off-list.

Don't ask which screen reader is best, the concepts of "best" and
screen reader are mutually exclusive <G>  Which ever one you can
stand is best for you.

Also, please don't bother me with obvious suggestions about
marketing, like all the usual suspects, catalogs, access
companies and the like I know all them allready.

If you actually represent a group which can really do something,
I'll be happy to put you in touch with BeeLine and see what
happens.

tom Fowle

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered