VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patty Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patty Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:56:15 -0700
Hi George,

If you're using jaws 4.0 the following will work.  I don't know for sure if
it is exactly the same for earlier versions.

Do an insert-j to bring up the Jaws user interface.
Hit Alt-u for utilities.  The first item in this menu is the confiuration
manager. Either hit the letter c or enter to open this.
Hit alt-s for the set options menu, then t for text processing.This will
take you into a text processing dialog box.
Hit the tab key on your keyboard until you hear "number processing".
Use the up or down arrow to move to one of four choices for how you wish to
hear numbers.  In your case, since you want to hear the phone numbers as
digits you could use the single digits option, but keep in mind this would
then read all numbers in digits.  A better option might be to move to the
option called "controlled by synthesizer, in which Jaws does it's best to
interpret what kind of number you're using, and reads phone numbers in
groups, like in the number for toll-free information, 1-800-555-1212, it
reads the 1 by itself, the 800 as single digits, then five fifty-five, then
twelve twelve.
You can experiment to see which option you like best.
After choosing the option you want, hit enter.  To save it as the default,
hit control-s.
Hit alt-f to close the configuration manager.
Hit alt-space, let go, and then hit n for minimize to get the jaws user
interface out of the way.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Patty Arnold