From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:36:50 -0700
Ian;
I understand your concept, but you are overlooking the fact that most
modern windows apps install "common" files and .dll files in the windows
directory so you would lose these when you deltree/re-install windows.
You would have to reinstall most of the apps anyway.
As far as the registry - Scanreg/restore would restore it,
but you still would still be missing some necessary files.
I use Goback by Roxio  on my win2k machine and can restore it to a previous
condition.
windows ME and XP have this (system restore) built in and it works pretty
well.
They do this by building a .BIN file containing compressed copy of all the
files on the harddrive.
The down side is it takes quite a large file to store this.
The gobackio.bin file on my 45 gig C drive is  4,096,000 KB

<>< Larry Fisk
         Fisk Computers
           Fruitvale, Idaho