From:
Ed Nottingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:30:19 -0500
I have now been running WinXP for about 3 months, and I am quite pleased.  Faster loading, no BSOD, and what appears to be incredible stability.

I have still not converted from FAT32 to NTFS being both superstitious (if it ain't broke don't fix it) and somewhat apprehensive.  I have read extensively on the benefits of NTFS (e.g., security, efficiency of that file structure v. FAT32), but I still do know whether or not it would be prudent to convert to NTFS.  I have a 32 GB hard drive partitioned into 6 separate sections (Win, Programs, Data, Memory, IE temp files, "Ghost" (for GoBack), and DriveImg for my PowerQuest Drive Image backups).

I am looking for the following:

What experiences have people had switching from FAT32 to NTFS?
What if any down side(s) is/are there?
What if any advantages are there to "leaving well enough alone?"
I have heard arguments that each is faster/slower than the other.  Comments?
I have found that Norton SystemWorks 2002 disk defrag (an other programs I've tried) run slower than molasses when compared to running it on my 98SE machines with FAT32.  Any improvement with NTFS?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Nottingham
www.DrEdNottingham.com