From:
Marg Belliveau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:24:10 -0400
WOW, I thought you said you didn't know alot about networking!!
Very clear and concise answers!  And everthing you've done and your settings
sound right!
If you're still game, I have a few suggestions, before you pack it in and
redo all!

The only change I might suggest is leaving 192.168.0.1 as the installed
gateway in 'Gateway' on the Client.
Also, in Internet Properties, on the CLIENT 'Never Dial a connection' should
be checked and on the Lan Settings Tab,  everything there should be
UNCHECKED.

One small important point:  On the Client, you must be running Internet
Explorer 5 or later for everything to work!

Are you able to see and access Drives, Files and Folders in Network
Neighborhood, on both machines?

Another place to check, in case you haven't already:

On the Host(xp) in Network Connections, right click on your Dialup?
(internet connectoid) connection, open Properties, Advanced Tab
This is how mine looks,
Internet Connection Firewall: checked (up to you, but you could disable
until things are working)
Internet Connection Sharing:  checked (important)
Establish a dialup....Internet:  Unchecked (I did this cause every 5 minutes
the client was trying to connect)
Allow other users....connection: Checked (that way, on the client you click
the Internet Gateway icon to get the Host to dialup and connect to Internet)

For the Lan Connection on the Host, do the same to get to Properties, and on
the Advanced Tab, make sure Internet Connection Firewall is NOT
checked...(this can cause problems and is not necessary)

Marg Belliveau