From:
David Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:21:40 +0200
Dear Rick,
Thank you. I would like to clarify your suggestions:
1. How can one be sure that the printer spooler is "really" cleared? When my
NT4 computer Printer Control Panel is cleared (blank) I assume that the
spooler has no data. Should I be looking elsewhere?
2. Should I turn off the printer when HP recommends a different solution
(although it doesn't work - see below).

Dear Joseph,
Thank you for suggesting the HP website. It had no data on this issue, but I
posted a query to the HP forum.

The disturbing point is that the online manual states the following:

QUOTE:

Canceling a print job

You can cancel a print job from a software application or a print queue.

To stop the printer immediately, remove the remaining paper from the
printer. After the printer stops, use one of the following options.

Printer control panel: To cancel the print job, press and release the Go
button on the printer control panel.
Software application: Typically, a dialog box appears briefly on your
screen, allowing you to cancel the print job.
Windows print queue: If a print job is waiting in a print queue (computer
memory) or print spooler, delete the job there. Go to the Printer screen in
Windows 9x, 2000, Millennium, and NT 4.0, click Start, Settings, and
Printers. Double-click the HP LaserJet 1200 icon to open the window, select
your print job, and click Delete.
Desktop print queue (Mac OS): Open the printer queue by double-clicking on
the printer's icon in the Finder. Then highlight the print job and click
Trash.
If the status lights on the control panel continue to blink after you cancel
a print job, the computer is still sending the job to the printer. Either
delete the job from the print queue or wait until the computer finishes
sending data. The printer will return to the Ready state.

END QUOTE

That's precisely what I did - but it doesn't work.

David Grossman

> If you are sure the printer spooler of the OS you are using is "really"
> cleared, (I pause the printer, purge, and then unpause...),
> the next step would be to unplug the electricity to the printer.
> My HP (older) instructions have said to leave it unplugged for
> 10-15 minutes to "really" clear it well...    Good luck,   Rick Glazier
>
> > >How do I purge a print job on an HP LaserJet 1200?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>