From:
rizal sharif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:59:55 -0800
Dear all,

I intent to network one PC in our security house with
the main office using UTP cable. The distance is
around 70 meter between these buldings. The cable will
be laid through the existing telephone manhole and
covered using G.I pipe.

However, I'm concern of the lightning surge that can
damage the switch at main office and the PC at the
security house. I'm looking for a reliable surge
protecter that can be placed at both end of the  UTP
cable. Any ideas?

My second option is to use 4-core external fiber optic
cable with 2 units, 100Mbps or 10 Mbps media
converter. But cost is an issue since it's only one
network point involves.

If somebody has any experiance with this kind of
arrangement, please share it with me. I had also
contacted my vendor and they advice me to use fiber
optic cable.

Any suggestion are welcome.

Rizal Sharif
Golden Hope Fibreboard, Malaysia.