Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:00:08 -0700
  Using FAT32, a 30GB drive is still small enough that it could have
CLUSTERS the size of a single sector, 512 bytes.

  Since the vast majority of drive read/writes under Win32 are of
blocks of 4KB, it is unlikely that a cluster size much smaller than
that will help performance.

Dave Gillett

On 22 Oct 2001, at 10:58, Dave Ralph wrote:

> I am upgrading a Win 98 SE machine with a large hard drive, 30
> Gigabytes.  Sector size presumably increases with the size of a drive.  In
> this case, an upgrade to the BIOS would allow a single primary drive to
> occupy the full 30 GB.  There is the option of dividing the drive into
> smaller logical drives.  Does anyone have any suggestions or guidelines as
> to whether efficiency of the drive in speed of read/write, retrieval would
> be increased or decreased by dividing the drive or not, what the optimum
> sector size would be by adjusting the logical drive size, etc.?  I am going
> from the world of worrying whether my former small HD would hold all my
> programs to the world of not being able to imagine ever filling a 30 GB
> drive.  Thank you.
>
> David E. Ralph
> Chemung County Neighborhood Legal Services, Inc.
> 215 E. Church St., Ste 301
> Elmira, NY 14901
> VOX 607-734-1647
> FAX 607-734-1018
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml