From:
"Lewis M. Russakov" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:40:15 -0700
Sorry I am just getting back to this, but I have been spending time
trying to fix my [supposed] USB problem.

Contacted HP. Their phone Customer Support said that I had low
conventional memory problem which turned out not to be correct. Memory
was fine. Then contacted their Web Customer Support who gave me
instructions on how to reinstall the scanner which obviously didn't work.

Sent my problem to Compaq who replied that, "There is an issue that USB
devices may not work in Windows 98 Second Edition. Universal Serial Bus
(USB) devices that are connected to a Windows 98 Second Edition-based
computer may not work if the following hardware components are installed
on the computer: An AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster)".

My Windows 98SE Compaq has an AMD chip running faster. Bad news.

Finally checked HP's web site FAQ data base and found that their HP5300
ScanJet scanner has a conflict with AMD chips running faster than 350 Mhz
and will not work with the USB port.

Got another USB scanner [from a different manufacturer] and it is working
perfectly.

Be warned!!!!!!

Lew