From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:56:33 -0700
I didn't catch the EBAY connection in your previous post. The trouble with
buying RAM on EBAY is the seller often has no expertise nor any idea about
what he is selling. I personally have bought RAM that was sold as something
it wasn't on two occasions. The first time I bought four EDO Simms, and two
of them turned out to be FPM. A few weeks ago I purchased two brand new
Centon 16 meg FPM Simms for a 486. You can see in this professional EBAY
Vendor offering that there was no ambiguity about what was being
offtered  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1250393920
. The way these FPM SIMMs were presented even I felt confident that the
seller knew what he was selling. These turned out to be 50 ns EDO.

The first thing to do is to go to the memory manufactures web site and look
for a technical support number and or a support email address. Contact the
manufacturer and give then any model number that you see stamped on the
circuit board as well as the number on the actual chip. You will find
Viking at http://www.vikingcomponents.com/
Their free tech support number is (800) 845.8777 and you can also fill out
a email form or even have a live real time chat session.
They should be able to identify it for you.

  You are probably right in that the EBAY seller unknowingly sent you the
wrong RAM and you should have no problem getting a refund.  In both cases
the  EBAY sellers refunded my money. In fact in the recent case the seller
was so grateful that I taught him how to identify  RAM that he gave me back
my money plus ten dollars  and told me to keep the RAM for my trouble !

RAM is so cheap everywhere that there is no reason to buy RAM on EBAY
unless you need some kind of out of production type  RAM. Laptop RAM is
particularly proprietary, and expensive however you can still find it at
relative inexpensive prices at  Coast to Coast Memory
http://www.coastmemory.com/. I bought a 64 meg SODIMM module for my Dell
Latitude that was made by IBM with Micron chips for $36 plus S&H. It
doesn't get any better or cheaper then that!

Rode
The NOSPIN Group