From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:45:46 EST

<< Date:    Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:49:51 -0400
From:    matesz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Coconut milk question

Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>I noticed that any Thai brand product that says 'new' on it has extra
ingredients added that are not paleo. For example the Thai brand coconut
milk has guar gum added which makes it thicker.

Look for THAI KITCHEN, which does not contain such things.  I can't imagine
them adding that.  They have a great product already.  Maybe you are meaning
a different brand that has the word THAI in it but not the KITCHEn part.

Rachel >>

Unfortunately, I have to report that Susan is correct, if indeed she is
referring to the Thai Kitchen brand of coconut milk. I discovered just
recently that the cans are now labeled Coconut Milk Premium, instead of Pure
Coconut Milk, and contain the addition of guar gum. As deVries posted
earlier, the nutritional composition has also changed substantially as a
result.

I called the company and spoke to "Linda", a customer service representative.
She informed me that guar gum was a natural substance added as an emulsifier,
to keep the product from separating. I've only opened one can so far, but
ironically found the liquid/solid portions even more difficult to mix than
the original formula. Linda told me I was the first person to call with
comments about the new formula, and she was glad to get feedback from
customers. She then told me she would find out more information and call me
right back. So far today, she hasn't returned my call. If I hear any further
from her I will report.

I also went to their website, <A
HREF="http://www.thaikitchen.com/thaihome.html#">Thai Kitchen Home</A> ,
which still shows their coconut milk as the original formula, with the only
listed ingredient being coconut.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY