NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:29:43 EDT
I know its a bit late to be asking, but I really thought things would be all
set in place by now.  My son (severely allergic to milk) is starting middle
school (6th grade) the 25th.  The school nurse had her first grandchild at the
end of the school year so we didn't get to meet and do his 504 plan.  I have
every confidence in her and she is very active training other nurses about food
allergies.  I did meet with the principle at the beginning of summer.  Except
for cooking classes (gasp), I couldn't see any major problems that would need
to be addressed.  The cafeteria is well aquatinted with peanut allergies and
anaphylaxis.

What else do I need to look for?  At this age they don't want to give them
constant snacks so that is a good thing.  But, since he is my oldest I don't
know what they usually do at middle school these days (I went to Junior high
school, lol, and not until 7th grade).

I am struggling with him having more independence and yet keeping him safe.
I am making him read ingredient labels, I have had him practice with expired
Epi - pens on fruit.  He has a couple friends that will look out for him,
but..........none of the official stuff is in place.  What all do I need to look
out for in middle school?

Any key phrases I can use to get staff to understand that milk allergies can
be just as life threatening as peanut allergies?  I just told the school
secretary, when I was leaving messages for the nurse and school principle to call
me, to think of the worse peanut allergic child she had ever heard of and that
is how allergic to milk James is.  And that is very true, in his case.  The
school and school staff are accustomed to dealing with peanut allergies, but
there are different things to look for with milk allergies.  James used to be
allergic to both.  He is in the lucky minority that outgrew the peanut allergy
and according to the last visit with the allergist (after anaphylaxis) he might
be in the minority that do not out grow the milk allergy since his reactions
keep getting stronger and are triggered by smaller amounts of milk protein.

I do have an appointment with the allergist on the 18th.  At that point I
need him to write a letter to the school to make the 504 official, do the med.
authorization forms, etc....but I'm unsure what the restrictions should be.
Last year we had the Dr rewrite his letter because it was too restrictive.  James
had had a reaction two weeks earlier that I think shocked the Dr..

OK, this is too long........what do I look for in middle school?  He has had
anaphylaxis to milk cooking on the stove (airborne), his food just being
handled after other food with cheese being handled (hand transfer), and the latest
reaction was when spray whipped cream was used about three feet away from him
(not sure if that one was airborne or over spray, but what he was eating was
tested at the University of Nebraska and found to be milk free as was the
unopened, same lot number, control sample of the same food).

E.J.