NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:23:02 -0400
Sally Comin wrote:

 >I can't believe they use lactose as a placebo!  That's insane!  But it's in
 >everything else so why not!

I'm still trying to figure out why they put it in ham. I haven't had a
chance to investigate this, but when I was in The Netherlands recently, and
I couldn't find any place to eat a gluten-free/casein-free lunch, I went
into a supermarket to buy food. The ham had lactose. I was hungry, and
there weren't other options, so I ate it anyway. On my next trip I will
take a pemmican muffin for each day I'll be there, plus an extra for the plane.

Pemmican, for those that don't know, is ground up beef jerky mixed with
rendered suet. I use bison for mine, which is what the Native Americans
used. (They invented it.) Properly made it has an indefinite shelf life.
Properly made means absolutely no moisture at all.

Don.