C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:30:04 -0500
Betty, that's fine, I don't mind this being public.  I think you and I are
coming at this from two opposite poles.

I am all for the freedom to make your own decisions.  No question or
argument with that.  However, I feel when one attempts to take his or her
own life and endangers others in the process, the rights of society take
precedent over that of the individual.    The issue was not whether the
person in question had the right to say no to leaving her house but whether
she had the right to endanger herself and others.  That's it. nothing else.
That's when, in my opinion, society has a right to step in and say,
"something needs to be done."

I drive my own car (have done so since I was 16), and can tell you if
someone pulled such a trick on me, I'd never let them in my car again, and
would insist they see a doctor for help.  And I know all of my friends would
do the same.  We are responsible adults, and even we disabled adults have a
responsibility to society to act responsibly for the public good.

       Kat