BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A place midway between Celebration and Village of the Damned.
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:27:41 EST
I have some 1830's Argand lamps, which I want to restore to burning condition.  The highly experienced restorer (Hugo of 59th Street) says "Fine, OK, but you have to mix special fuel, and you'll never use them after the first time - it's too much work -- and they smell like bad candles."

Anyone with any experience in this?

There are lots of people who had experience with Argand lamps, but they've been dead for 100 years, and smell like Bbutter Hill.

If it makes you feel any better, I once had a gasolier electrified and specifically asked that the gas keys not be drilled through,so that someday somebody could use the fixture for gas again. The guy charged me (and I happily paid) for a little coupling to be soldered into each side of the key, so the wire could be snaked past the key.  I happened to look in on the guy's progress about a week earlier than I was supposed to, and found that he had indeed put in and drilled the couplings, leaving the gas keys intact....and that he had drilled the bejesus out of the steel gas pipe hidden in the middle of the fixture.

Your Argand lamps will make a lovely display, and forget about using them, unless you want a visit from the FDNY.  There are reasons people went from Argand to kerosene, and kerosene to gas, and gas to Thomas Alva Edison's electric lamp.

Da Fiat Lux