AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abu-Hassan Koroma <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 01:14:41 -0500
Dear Friends:

On behalf of the 21st Century African Youth Movement, Inc., I am writing to invite you to the Closing Reception of the Sierra Leone art exhibit, “Representations of Violence:  Art about the Sierra Leone Civil War.”  The reception will take place from 6 to 8 pm on Saturday, May 24, 2003, at the Common Wealth Gallery, 100 South Baldwin Street, Madison, Wisconsin.  The gallery is situated on the third floor of the building.   This is the second and final showing of the exhibition in Madison.

As part of the closing reception, a video on the exhibit will be shown after viewing the artwork.  One of the artists – the only female artist - represented in the exhibition, Mamei Isata Sowah, will be present to talk about her work and also share her experiences during the just concluded Sierra Leone civil war.  Both the video and the presentation will help in contextualizing the deep and powerful meaning behind the exhibition.

The 21st Century African Youth Movement plays an important role in developing a global community through the Global Learning and Sharing Endeavor (GLaSE). Our current art exhibition project, “Representations of Violence: Art about the Sierra Leone Civil War," was on display at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Potter Butts Gallery from March 1st – 30th, 2003.  Around 9,000 people viewed the exhibition.  It is now on display at the Commonwealth Gallery in Madison from May 3rd – 30th, before traveling to other venues.

This exhibition is an important achievement within our movement, for it presents an opportunity for people to unite in an attempt to reduce conflict and share a need for peace. This is a prime example of what our organization does to achieve its goals of the pursuit of peace, justice, and human rights.

We are looking forward to seeing you and members of your organization at the Closing Reception of  “Representations of Violence: Art about the Sierra Leone Civil War," on Saturday, May 24, 2003, from 6 to 8 pm.  Thank you in advance for your participation.

Sincerely,

Abu-Hassan Koroma, Founder and CEO
21st Century African Youth Movement, Inc.

P.S.  Please feel free to share this information with other lists.