AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fabu Mogaka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 10:10:38 -0500
Greetings to All!

Juneteenth 2002 Celebration will take place on Saturday, June 15 at Penn
Park from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.  All are welcome!  Juneteenth is a celebration
of African American freedom and family.  In 1868 there were still enslaved
Africans in Texas who didn't know that the Civil War had ended, because
their plantation owners still held them in bondage.  Since 1868, Juneteenth
Day on June 19th has been celebrated where large populations of Black people
live.  Madison has been celebrating for almost 20 years on the Saturday
closest to the 19th.  There are several tent areas:  Heritage, Children &
Youth, Entertainment, Church and others. There are info booths, food booths
and many, many more offerings. The kick off is a huge parade at 10 a.m. and
Opening ceremonies at Noon.  The Heritage Tent highlights contributions,
food and talents from the Diaspora; Africa, the Caribbean and North America.
1-2:30 p.m. begins with African anthem, drums, dance, food and DJ Lasisi.
2:30-4 begins with Caribbean anthem, drums, dance, food and DJ Trini.   4-6
is African American anthem,drums,dance,jazz, food and DJ Peaches.  All of
the activities, including food tasting is free.

We have room for 6 African, Caribbean and African American vendors who want
to sell items for $25.00 or less on tables around the heritage tent.  We
would like an African Bazaar.  Interested folks have to contact Fabu at
271-3224 because there are no charges for the 6 tables around Heritage.
There is a charge for vendors in other areas, who bring what they want.
Contact number for food or item vendors is 257-2453 ex 255 thru Retuned.

We have invited the African Association to co-sponsor the Heritage Tent.  We
have invited the African Women's Association to participate with, cook and
explain our taste of Africa.  We are hoping that both will kindly agree to
participate in our shared Heritage.  We have invited the Caribbean
Association to co-sponsor the Heritage Tent and women from the islands to
participate in the taste of the Caribbean.  Last year we highlighted Haiti
and had the best food, presentation and artifacts that I have seen in many
years due to the kindness of the Achlai Ernest family.  We hope that our
Caribbean brothers and sisters will agree to join us as well.  And of
course, there are many other activities taking place for the entire
celebration of freedom and family.  Our Brothers and Sisters are welcomed to
every activity we have.  Need more info?  Please contact Fabu at 271-3224.
Thank you.