AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Alex L. Redd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:07:19 -0500
Hi Mr, Borh,
Thanks for the shedding light of historical insight on our beloved land. Yes
indeed, slaves built this vast ocean of wealth called America. The
exploitation of Liberia's natural resources by American companies also helped
built and
shape the modern world. Who's to blame? Liberian officials or the foreigners?

The answer boils down to nationalism under an effective and efficient
bureaucracy and authority.
The so-called Americo-Liberian ruled for 133 years without the remorse of
closing the gap of income disparity between the rural and the urban areas.
They failed to prioritize investment in human capital, infrastructure and the
domestic market. Power is centralized with the virtual ignorance of the law
that protects and promote the rights and priviledges of  citizens.

However, it is important to get the grasp of the past before understanding
the present. The ex-slaves who formed Liberia suffered under extremed
circumstances of  hard labor in America. Under such harsh conditions, the
ex-slaves were
psychologically ingrained with idealogy of slavery, so they could not desist
from such mentality, therefore they continued the same pattern in Liberia at
the expense of the indigenous population.

I usually argue with my colleagues that I have been an American citizen since

the cotton picking era in the south. My claim comes from the fact that my
great great grand father the late Lagia Redd was an ex-slave who helped enriched

southern white elites during the slavery era. That is the reason why I vow
never to claim American citizenship by paper work through the so-called INS
because
I am satisfied being a permanent legal resident with priviledges to get
education, housing and other basic life necessities. To stand in front of a
white-long
nose Anglo-Saxon judge to deny and scrape my self-hood of identity as a Liberian

is far-fetched. Liberia will recover some day with the right people and it is
incumbent upon us to make that change. Time is everything and under the right
circumstances positive things will happen. Let's keep the faith!

Alex Redd
Madison, WI