Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:12:04 -0800
7BIT
From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
On 18 Mar 2002, at 7:57, Steven Sills wrote:

> David Gillett wrote:
>
> > On 15 Mar 2002, at 11:24, Steve Sills wrote:
> >
> > > I have a PC that up until last week could see and access a server
> > > on the network. All of a sudden this PC can see all other network
> > > resources, but not this particular server. Nothing has changed on
> > > the PC or the Server, that I am aware of.  Any ideas as to what
> > > the problem is?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Steve
> >
> > 1.  When you say "see", what do you mean?  Do you mean that it no
> > longer appears in "Network Neighborhood"?  Can you ping it by name?
> > Can you ping it by address?
>
> Reply: "See" means I can "see" other PCs in the Network Neighborhood.  I
> can ping by name and by address.
>

> > 2.  When you say "on the network", is this youwr own network, the
> > network where you work or go to school, the Internet, or some other
> > network?
> >

> Reply: Network refers to our company network.
>

> >   Can other PCs still "see" the server?
> >

> Reply: Yes, I can see other PCs on the network from this machine.  Also,
> other users can see the server in the network neighborhood.

  Okay, so when this client machine asks the browse master for a list
of machines on the network, that one server is missing from the list
it gets back.  But it's not missing from the list that other machines
get back, so it doesn't have the "Nide me from the browse master"
flag set in its registry.

  If the browse master wouldn't talk to this client machine at all,
then you'd see nothing in Network Neighborhood, and perhaps get an
error message.  I wonder if it's getting the NN info from a backup
browser, or trying to be its own browse master.

  What protocols are installed on these two machines?

  What workgroup/domain is each in?

  Is either machine using WINS?  Are they pointing at the same
servers?  Is either *hosting* WINS?

Dave Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>