Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Robert Zeoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:33:58 -0500
"What you need is a router/switchbox.  Linksys, D-Link, SMC, and other companies make these at prices between $80-$100.  See the latest PCMag issue for a rundown on home networking, with reviews of most of these boxes, and editor's choice for best.  With this box each computer gets on the Internet individually, so no gateway is needed, and the computers can see each other, share files, transfer files, use printers, etc. I have just such a system set up at home using an SMC Barricade 7004ABR, although there are also wireless models.  I'm sure your laptop comes with an NIC, which is how you will want to connect to your other ground based home desktops.  You can e-mail me off the list for how to do it. Joseph Marty: [log in to unmask]  Definitely get the latest PCMag issue to help you choose a box."

I have the SMC Barricade 7004ABR and have not had much luck with it.  I tried to connect two computers and a dial up internet access (directly to the barricade).  It would work okay for about 2 hours then internet performance would degrade then stop all together.  When I contacted SMC they told me to wait for the Patch in October. I did and installed it but same deal.  Maybe it works okay with a cable hook up?  Just curious if you got it to work with a dial up?  I wanted it for a small office network so it needs to work for at least 8 or 9 hours.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com