Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 08:59:03 -0600
7BIT
From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Any telephone experts out there? We're having a connection
problem that I suspect has more to do with the telephone cabling in
our house than the machine itself. We live in a new developement
where there is no "official" phone hookups yet - things are not
always clean and neat here in Mexico ;)  We have cabled in a
connection from a nearby area where there are real phone
connections. The total cable length is probably 400 to 500 meters
(1,300 to 1,600 ft. for you gringos). The cable we're using is the
black two strand copper telephone wire and there are a number of
telephones (4 I think) sharing this connection.

At the computer we have a converter that makes the wall connection
into 2 connections and we have a telephone connected there too.
Untill recently, we had to disconnect the phone to be able to connect
with the modem. Now the modem doesn't seem to get a dial tone to
be able to dial at all. The whole thing has been rather mysterious in
that sometimes it acts up and other times is doesn't. The phone has
always worked fine though.

Could we be having a problem with low voltage as a result of the
distance or perhaps there's a loose connection somewhere along
the line? Anybody know the correct voltage so I can check it? Any
suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric