EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:06:15 GMT
Hello,

The experience of Doris with her profoundly dyslexic/dysgraphic son
suggests that WordAloud, which displays a word at a time, while speaking
it, and which allows the user to work by themselves at their own pace,
could improve reading levels dramatically among many students with
learning difficulties.

I have used WordAloud with a 7-year old dyslexic boy; his mother typed
in his current favourite book and he was able to read aloud most of
the words as they were displayed (with WordAloud's speech turned off).
When stuck, his mother helped him with the decoding, and we obtained a
very useful indication of his particular decoding problems.

A student can learn to read by themselves, i.e. without a parent or
teacher looking over their shoulder.  At first they can have the speech
on all the time.  But then they can turn the speech off, and use
the speech synthesiser to prompt them only when they are stuck
on a word.  These words can be automatically collected into a word
list.

A key factor of course is the motivation.  Making measurable progress
must itself be a motivating force for most people.

BTW, you can download a free evaluation copy of WordAloud from
www.wordaloud.co.uk and there's a special offer of $29.95 for
a personal copy of the product, which includes the wordlist
facility.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London, UK
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk and http://www.wordaloud.co.uk