From:
Beth Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:45:56 -0500

First a little background. My husband and I have four children. Our youngest
son Andrew was diagnosed (by biopsy)at 17 months, had all the classic
symptoms of Celiac Disease. This is the first we had ever heard of Celiac
Disease. Because of the genetic component of the disease, we had all the
kids tested. Our other son,10 y.o. Brian, came back positive with the blood
work, had a biopsy, positive for Celiac. I just received the HLA results
today for the four kids and me,(my husband was sick so he didn't get tested
when we did). Andrew, Brian, and one daughter came back with DQ2 positive.
One daughter was DQ2 negative. All 4 kids were DQ8 negative. But heres the
thing, I (mom) came back DQ8 positive and DQ2 negative. So here are my
questions.

1. Since I am DQ2 negative, does this mean that my husband has to be DQ2
positive?

2. I know DQ2 is a fairly common gene, how common is DQ8? Has anyone else
that had the testing had both genes?

 We were hoping that the gene test would at least tell us which side of the
family it is on because their are people on both sides with symptoms.
I am awaiting a call from the GI but were apprciate any wisdom that anyone
has to share.

Beth, Cincinnati