From:
Ellen Switkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 22:29:49 -0700

Glad to see some discussion on travelling.  I do a lot of it for business,
usually one day trips, but sometimes more.  This almost always involves at
least one meal.  I usually pack a g-f muffin to eat when everyone else has
rolls in the morning when the meeting starts.  If I catch an early plane I
get hungry before lunch finally comes at noon.  I also let them know in
advance that I'm on a g-f diet.  I'm now telling everyone that I get really
sick if I eat foods with gluten.  This isn't really true, I'm not all that
sensitive, but waiters and meeting organizers take the message more
seriously if they think that I'll get horribly sick right then and there....
I seldom find that there's nothing I can eat at a business lunch, but
sometimes I have to take out my other muffin, apple or banana to supplement
the salad.  Usually people bend over backwards.  When I travel overnight or
for longer trips, I take a package or two of g-f crackers and some bread. If
there's a reception, I put out the crackers and everyone eats them, so at
least I have something I can eat too.  I also like to take g-f biscotti.
Pamela's Products is now making very dry biscotti which travels well.

One other comment,  someone on the list said that salsa is never a problem.
Be careful about that, some bottled and fresh salsa's have modified food
starch to give them body.  Read the ingredients carefully.

Ellen Switkes
Oakland, Ca