From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:51:35 -0800

I have received literally dozens of supportive posts from people who have
experienced the same reaction to GF baked goods as I have.  Almost every
one of them reported getting sicker after eating GF baked goods.  Only
three people report that they tolerate them on a regular basis.  The
following reponse is just too good to omit from the summary I posted
yesterday so I'll include it here:

What you say is true for many newly diagnosed celiacs in the last 20
years.  They are diagnosed late in life and are so married to baked goods
that they overeat on the gf foods now available.  This is especially true
of females, I believe, because they miss pasties more than males. When I
was first diagnosed in 1968, there were no gums available and gf food had
to be baked and even then they were terrible.  In addition, I was single
and simply would not bother with baking most of the time.  For years, I
ate very little baked goods and concentrated on fresh meat, fish, fish,
and vegetables.  Although, I now have toast for breakfast, an occasional
sandwhich with the great tapioca bread of Energee foods, and an
occasional cake from them also, usually with berries or other fruit with
it, I still stick primarily to the basic non-baked goods diet.  If I
didn't,  I would be terribly overweight even with my 3 days/week in the
gymn.
I have enjoyed your posts and found many very well done as this one is .
Now, if you can convince the other celiacs that they can stop worrying
about endless recipes, cook books, and baked goods, maybe we can get on
with the important issues in this country like educating politicians,
restaurants, schools, doctors, dentists, nurses, etc.  to give us exact
labeling laws for processed foods sold in this country regardless of
origin.   These loose laws are the reason why even if we think  we are gf
we are never 100% no matter how hard we try, which is what I call the gf
myth!   Hal

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.