From:
Shelly Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:20:25 -0800

Some time ago, I asked if anyone knew of places in Roseville/Sacramento,
California where I could find reliably gluten free entrees.  I didn't
get many responses but those I received are listed below.  In addition,
I called a few restaurants.  Some were just downright funny in their

At Cabo's (a family owned Mexican restaurant with excellent food), the
waitperson said "We use only fresh ingredients, we don't add gluten to
the food."

I tried to put a bug in the ear of the manager of  a local pizza parlor
that they might want to look at providing pizza with a gluten free
crust. After making a phone call, he got back to me and told me that I
could safely eat there because they do not add gluten to any of their
foods.  Evidently, he called the "home office".

I found through phone calls that I can easily find gluten free food at
most up-scale restaurants.  We did dine out at Paragary's in Folsom
(near Roseville) and they had a wonderful salmon entree with rice pilaf
that was gluten free. I did not eat salad that night but they said all
dressings are made on site using no packaged seasonings.  I assume they
do use vinegar though so that would have to be checked out.

I also called Piatti and they said that they have many menu selections
that do not contain gluten.  They were responsive to having the waiter
indicate that sauces were to be left off chicken, fish ,etc.  They also
said all salad dressings were made fresh with fresh ingredients.

Enough of that...responses follow:

I did discover a few dishes at Applebee's that are safe, and the Chicken
Caesar Salad at McDonalds. (From the post it looked as if you were
looking for fast food or restaurant options)

****

I just saw this as I just had the list re-activated. In & Out Burger
does have "Protein Burgers" and they are ok, however watch the sauce.
They are not listed on the menu, you have to ask for them. The fries are
quite

****

When you go to In n Out Burger - you ask for your Burger Protein Style.
They make it without the bun. The burger also never touches the 'bun'
part of the grill.

****

I just got back from a trip to California (LA area) and I checked out
the In-n-Out option. The burger may have been gluten-free but they are
not maintaining a clean area around the grills such that your grilled
burger is free of bread crumbs. If you are the type to worry about
contamination of this type, then In-n-out is probably not for you.

****

just place your order; call it a "veggie wrap" In 'n Out wraps the
burger in a lot of lettuce. They have a whole lot of items that you can
order 'off menu' ... my son has a friend who works there. They have
triple triples, animal style (everything is grilled) ... these 2 are not
gf but the veggie wrap is and it is great!!! The shakes are gf as well
as the fries.