From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:07:29 -0800
On 14 Mar 2002, at 22:18, Roberto Safora Romay wrote:

> Seems I did not made myself clear.
> 1- I am talking of 100 Pcs
> 2- The FDD error during post is one time out of, lets say, 15 when you start
> the  PC
> 3- If you ignore the error, press f1 and enter Windows (XP), the fdd behaves
> OK, you can read from or write to it with no troubles.
> I was about to think in a timing problem.
> Thatīs why I asked about what error 40 really means, wht is the signal the
> Post waits and dont receive back, to give such error 40.
> Of course it is always posible that we havent had luck and a bad batch of
> FDD got to us.
> Thanks

  I seem to recall some odd diagnostic messages that turned out to be
because something (perhaps an exposed metal edge inside the case) had
severed -- or ALMOST severed -- the conductor along one edge of the
ribbon cable to the floppy drive.  If the machines were all assembled
by the same folks, the same problem could show up in more than one
machine....

Dave Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com