Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:41:41 -0300
You can also try to add this statement to the beginning of your autoexec.bat
(edit autoexec.bat in DOS or SYSEDIT.EXE in Windows):

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:ON /V

I find this to be a better test of memory than the power-on post and it
works on all versions of DOS and Windows 95-98.  There are lots of memory
testing programs out on the net too including MEMTEST, CORETEST and the old
Norton SYSINFO.  Most operating systems are installed by default with
TESTMEM:OFF, you donīt have any problems till you try to run a memory hungry
program - blank screens, cryptic messages, etc.  If you have no other memory
to substitute for the suspect ones, you could take the sticks to a local
computer shop, they might have a stand-alone memory tester and quickly tell
you which is bad.  Memory prices are so low now that you might just go buy
two 64mb sticks and enjoy an upgrade!  This is still not the ultimate
solution though...  I have in my possesion a 128 dimm that still passes all
tests, but when a client uses Adobe Premeire is a high powered system, the
system crashes after about an hour of use, even with lots of ventalation.  I
got him a brand of a higher quality and it works fine.

Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza Brazil

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: