From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 18:31:13 -0500
On Saturday 09 March 2002 11:07 am, you wrote:
> It has been advised, for best results, particularly with WinXP, format,
> and do clean install of new OS, rather than install upgrade over the top.
> What if have upgrade version, to save money; format, and do clean
> install?
>
> Demetri Kolokotronis

Demetri:
Yes, it can be done. (Well, I know that it works up through 98SE but, given
Microsoft's concerns about piracy, it may be tougher with XP). I clean the
drive, etc., boot using a Nospin boot disk, pop the win98 CD in the CD-ROM,
and type e:/setup (e: being the location of my CD-ROM). The installation
routine asks for proof that I own a previous version of Windows. I do this by
directing it to the original MS install media (in my case, I use my 3.11
floppies.) The installation then continues.
HTH --
Carroll Grigsby