From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:31:54 -0800
Herbert is correct that the active feedback will compensate for
orientation. While I do not have any test data, my familiarity with
feedback mechanisms (in a former life) would indicate that there is
likely to bee some hysteresis and play, although it may be small. Note
also that unless there is an embedded servo signal, the feedback
mechanism is on one specific part of the drive and may be slightly off
from the rest of the platters.

I admit that my recommendations and musings are likely to be mostly
theoretical and there may not be a compelling reason to format in a
specific orientation. Nonetheless, I always try to do so - perhaps it is
the old electronics engineer in me!

Peter
Peter Shkabara
http://gocolumbia.org/pesh