From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 07:11:35 -0500
Ian, Win Me's system restore is a slimmed down detuned Goback licensed by Microsoft.  When I installed Goback 3 on my Win Me machine, it detected System Restore and disabled it.  The commercial version of Goback has more features than system restore, and it runs during the system boot so you can fix a problem even if Windows will not load.  When I had Win 98.1 on several occasions I got a message that Windows is missing this or that *.dll, you need to reinstall Windows.  Windows, of course, did not load, so I did a manual power off and started over.  During the boot I chose to revert my hard drive to a "system safe point" (which Goback reports) an hour earlier when everything was working.  The whole procedure took maybe 3 minutes, and Windows loaded at the end of the boot as if nothing had ever happened.  Since those incidents I feel lost without Goback on my computers, and have used it on all of them, including Win 98.1, 98.2, and Win Me.